Monday, August 29, 2005

Urine for a change...

Day 3. I got a chance to ride the Chinese Subway again. The last ime I rode it was back around 1993 when I used to make my multiple hour, multiple modes of transportation solo trips to Beida University to play for the Bangladesh University Cricket Team. It was always a colorful trip, with my limited mastery of the language, coupled with a half assed idea of where I was really going, to getting to the subway and getting on a connecting bus and then waiting for our illustrious bad boy captain, Shakil Bhai to pick me up on his high speed motorcycle. One of my 'distinkt' memories of China was the experience of getting on public transportation. As a morning 'vitamin', a lot of locals would indulge in a nice chew of garlic. Being at close proximity,in an enclosed place, with a lot of people, who seemed hell-bent on assassinating Count Dracula with their breath was a harrowing experience.

Things have changed dramatically now. It seems that this habit is not as prevelant anymore...and the subways are dramatically clean and beautiful.




I live in NYC, where a subway trip is like getting on a sweaty, humid, urine swoaked, crazy town express with freaks on every corner. Beijing has left nyc far behind. Being the princess that I am, I upgraded from riding the NYC virus metro, to the NJ path train which is phenomenally better and (once my WTC station was removed by world politics) to the NY Water ferry,(which was a like a little harbor cruise every morning)....to the perfect commute I have now ( a 10 minute walk from 3rd avenue to 6th)....on the days I actually I make it in to work that is ..;)

1 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counters